Relieve Pain of Allergies
(from June 2014 holistic animal care newsletter)
Prevention is the best approach to avoiding allergies and by stimulating and strengthening the immune system, you can fight allergens and prevent many allergic reactions and issues.
Here are some key methods to keep your animal's immune system at its best.
Strengthen the Immune System
- Avoid over-vaccinating
- Feed a whole food, natural or raw diet
- Minimize toxin intake like steroids and other medications including proessed foods
- Herbs: Blue-Green Algae, Spirulina, Burdock Root, **Echinacea (liquid extract), Yellow Dock, Pau d" arco
- Flower Essences: Beech, Crab Apple
- Supplements: Fish oil (omega 3), Probiotics, Food-Grade Diatomaceous Earth to control parasites, Medicinal Mushrooms (Reishi, Maitake), Aloe Vera (whole leaf Aloe Vera extract), raw, local honey taken internally can reverse allergic reactions from environmental allergens.
Food allergies can contribute to an upset stomach, gastro-intestinal issues, diarrhea and vomiting. These remedies may help:
- Peppermint tea - brew a cup of tea and allow to cool. Put in their food (they may drink it like water)
- Honey sprinkled with cinnamon powder before meals, alfalfa, kelp and spirulina added to their diet.
- Chamomile, dandelion tea, ginger.
- A grain-free diet of natural and whole foods can prevent some allergy responses. Fresh vegetables and fruits, like apples that contain Quercetin in the peel which offers natural antihistamine properties can also be useful for allergy symptoms.
- Licorice taken internally helps with itching for acute flare-ups used short term
- Willards Water
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- Fish oil (omega 3) like Grizzly
Environmental, seasonal or topical allergies can cause conjunctivitis in the eyes, ear problems, respiratory issues or runny noses and coughs. Some possible remedies for relief from these issues are:
- Black tea (brewed and cooled), place 3-4 drops in each eye 3 x a day, equal parts ACV and distilled water dabbed around the eye or dabbed at the nape of the neck on puppies and kittens.
- Homeopathic Remedies: Euphrasia for red, watery infected eyes, Histaminum, Sinus
- Herbs: Cayenne pepper, Eyebright, Garlic, Golden Seal, Sage, Peppermint and Eucalyptus together, Licorice Root and Slippery Elm, Kelp and Blue-Green algae, Comfrey, Red Clover. Breathing the fumes of cinnamon powder relieves coughs.
- Homeopathic Remedies: Carbo Vegetal
- Essential Oils: Eucalyptus, Myrhh, Ravensare. Earth Angel Oils is a great source of oils.
Allergy dermatitis caused by mosquitoes, fleas, bees, wasps, spiders, ticks, etc that have inflamed into red spots, hair loss or oozing hot spots from excessive itching and chewing can be relieved with:
- Herbs: Aloe Vera, ACV
- Homeopathic Remedies: Aconite, Apis, Belladonna, Ledum
- Essential Oils: Frankincense, Lavender, a poultice of baking soda or flour with Eucalyptus and Peppermint oils
- Supplements: Willards Water, Colloidal silver(topical cream or oral liquid)
- Bentonite Clay
Skin allergies can benefit from these remedies:
- Bentonite Clay
- Oatmeal based shampoos
- Peppermint and lavender oil rinse
- Calendula and chamomile tea bath and calendula salve
- Echinacea or Golden Seal tincture taken internally or herbal salve used topically
These are just some of the natural ways you can prevent or relieve allergic symptoms in your animal's life. Muscle test to find out what type of allergy it is, what remedy will benefit the most such as diet, herbal, essential oils, flower essences or homeopathic remedies. Do not forget to muscle test the amount of each remedy and the length the remedy should be offered. If you don't know how to muscle test, consider learning from our 31 page instructional ebook with photos. Make holistic care a way of life, not a last resort! Your animals will breathe easier and be more comfortable for it.